Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A day at the race

For record keeping sake, let me say that my 4 1/2 year old is 48lbs and in a 6X currently. She's a tall girl at 42". Still dwarfing her classmates, I have to laugh when we have someone over to play. They are so light and little that I pick them up with more force than needed and surprise us both. Since she is such a sucker for any woman with white hair, she immediately takes to any "grandma" and claims her as her own. At the Steeplechase in Aiken on Saturday there was one such woman. She was small and frail looking, but Addison wanted to sit in her lap. I think she said yes just to be nice, but I couldn't let her continue holding what she referred to as my "substantial" child after she shifted continuously. Addison was mad at me.
The Steeplechase was rainy and muddy and cold...and then the sun came out and the horses ran and we ate like pigs. That's basically what you do there. The horses comes around...and then you eat and drink for 45 minutes...and the the horses come around again. A cycle that lasts 6 races. It's a rich man's tailgating I think. Silly, stupid women were wearing sun-dresses, hats and heals in 40 degree weather. Fashion was definitely king over sensibility. Addison and I trudged around in our coats and sweaters with scarves. We are smart before pretty.
"Moving Violation" was the winner that day. Although I was rooting for "Sir Dynamite" just because I like that name. I think my next dog should have that name.

 The horse that got away. He dumped his jockey and continued to run the track..twice.

 The jump.

 Arggg you Matey. I'm at a horse race, but I'm acting like a pirate!

No comments: