Thursday, January 7, 2010

The power of Family

In 1996 Hillary Clinton wrote a book, "It takes a Village." She was referring to raising children and society's role in meeting all of children's needs...outside the home. At first glance it's such an obvious statement. Of course it takes a village. But each day of being an actual mother leads me to a deeper understanding of what a "village" really consists of.
Addison has one set of Grandparents in the whole wide world. My husband's parents died far too young leaving him motherless and fatherless earlier than most. It's still an injustice that plagues him to this day. Life marches on.
As with most things, you work with what you're given. So, in addition to her one set of Grandparents, Addison has one Great-Grandma. I'm not sure how to convey the literal glee that happens when my daughter gets together with her 2 grandmas. I was sure growing up that my mother and grandmother loved me, but I am also sure that their love for Addison has reached a new and improved height.
I am fortunate that these women care so deeply for my child.
It was truly evident this past week. For the new year, my husband and I got brand new shiny viruses! My temps hovered around 101 while his virus took a different turn leaving him vomiting for nearly 8 hours. We were beaten. It was all I could do to get Addison from her crib, drag us all downstairs and call my saviours....the Grandmas.
My mother promptly picked up the baby and whisked her away to Grandma-land where between the two of them (my mother works during the day), they cared for my child day and night for 2 days.
I never worried about her, I never wondered if her best interests were in mind, if she was being fed properly. I never once feared for her safety or that she was being exposed to something distasteful.

So, I don't believe I'm on board with the village concept. I could hire a nanny. I could enlist a daycare for services. These are tools that I use everyday to CARE for my child, but none of these will always have my child's best interest in mind. None of them should ever be responsible for raising my child. It's a family that makes a difference to a child....because they love her. And love is the key.

No comments: