Saturday, July 31, 2010

The sound of thunder

I'm sure that I've been too lost lately to gather an inspiration for a post. There are certain elements of the world that speak to a soul and invoke genius...certain elements that drown in the day to day.
This week we've had thunder and lightening storms almost every night. It's the perfect set up really. Do your work, come home and get stuck inside with your loved ones WITH a free light and sound show for entertainment.
Brilliant.
I have spent many a late evening sitting in my front porch swing just watching...and listening.
Last night, the echos of thunder sounded like resounding belly laughs from a large man with a deep voice.
I wonder what was so funny.
The lightening streaks across the sky at times. Others, it merely lights up the sky as if someone turned the sun on and then off again. Today, it got me. I was intently listening to the rolling laughter of the clouds, concentrating on the splatter of rain on my windows when the lightening flashed through my bedroom - turning on the lamp all by itself. The rumbling thunder changed it's pitch into a loud crack that made my entire body jump. I loved it.
The reminder that there are much greater things working and moving in our world. There are things to fear and respect.
It also offered me perspective that whatever it was that was robbing me of inspiration may not be quite significant after all.

No comments: