Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What do you say?

Down a forgotten little street in the heart of the historic district in Augusta lies East Avenue. Tiny little row houses that are too close for comfort line this weedy, dilapidated street. Amidst the decay and neglect is a small house that someone actually does care about. The woman who lives there is about my age. Lately, in my passing, I've noticed her ever growing tummy. She usually isn't thrilled to see me. To her, I'm the absentee landlord who uses my house on that street as storage.
I have talked to her about her pregnancy, her first. It's a hobby of mine now that I'm in "the mommy club".
Today, as I pulled up the street, out she came with her round belly and protruding naval. She had a mad look on her face and I was poised to change her usual bad mood.
"Hi! It's almost time isn't it?"
Silence. Her faced was twisted. She was taking out some garbage and not looking at me.
Maybe she didn't hear me, "Looks like your about to pop. When's the due date?"
She was too close to ignore me now, but I could tell as she looked up that she wasn't mad. She was crying.
"No baby." was all she could muster.
"We go to the doctor tonight to take it out."
My heart fell, my hands dropped. Everything in me sank.
"I'm so sorry."
What a pitiful little response to this huge world of hurt this woman was in.
She went back inside and I stood right where I had, not moving, not looking at the cute happy house that now would not see the pitter patter of tiny feet. Not this year.
My thoughts are still with her hours later. My mind still wanders to East Avenue where a mommy lives without her baby.
What do you say that would ever make a difference?

1 comment:

Lara said...

Oh Angela. My sister-in-law went through that in March. She was 36 weeks and the doctor couldn't find a heartbeat. All I can tell you is that keep being the faithful sunshine in her life, even when she doesn't want it. Stop and check in just to see how she's doing. And pray without ceasing for her.