Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Click

It's as if you've taken a picture. For a brief second - a flash of light, and you have captured the essence of a moment. Today I passed a woman sitting at a red light. Her face was tensed and worried. She stared into nothing, into something as she waited. It's a perk of driving. No one will see you for long and if they do, well, they can't catch you..except for a moment.
Sometimes that brief picture is funny. Did you really catch that woman picking her nose?
Sometimes it's anger. A look, a snarling lip, a hateful gesture.
Sometimes it's pain. I've shed many a tear while alone, driving in the car and I've caught a few others in the act as well. That one is hard to witness because the essence of that moment effects you, evokes sympathy and strokes the imagination as you wonder why that person is in pain.
There are plenty of happy scenes: my favorite is a singing motorist. It is a complete picture of someone living a moment unburdened, smile on their face, lyrics tripping over their tongue as they rock it out as if they were on a stage for thousands. Oh just a peak, a glimpse into the chasm of human emotion..especially when they think they're alone.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I know what you mean about that single moment.
I have a very memorable one about myself when my boys were young, and while waiting for the lights the change, I totally lost it. (VERY unlike me). Anyhow, I caught eyes with the motorist beside me and I'm sure I heard the "click". He must think I'm crazy. Makes me laugh now, and reminds me not to pass judgement on others.

head in the clouds said...

Love this! :D But it always baffles me...how could they possibly think they are alone when they are surrounded by transparent windows?! I am picture obsessed. Because memories are precious.