Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Church Shopping

Have you ever shopped for a church? For a very long time I was on the church end of that transaction. I was the Sunday School teacher, the youth leader, the choir member and the bible study teacher. For me there was always a feeling of being on trial whenever a new person entered the church doors. Make them feel welcome, go out of your way, invite them to join an activity, etc. Maybe that's the problem now when I'm on the opposite end as the shopper. I wonder if these people are as friendly and nice and inclusive as they portray.
We (Michael and I) came from and met at the BIG Baptist Church on the hill where you are only known to be there if you have a smaller Sunday School class that you attend. And even then, the classes are so large, you can hide there just as well as in the massive Sanctuary. The options there are endless. There's traditional worship, contemporary worship, rock-n-roll worship, early worship, late worship and childcare provided so you could possibly drop your child off at 8 a.m. and not come back till 12:30p.m. It's all very eventful and busy. But if you're like us, and you can't find your class, or your niche or your place where you belong. It all sort of feels like cattle being herded through hallways - in one forum, on to the next.
So we shop. For Churches. Seems almost sacrilegious.
We've been to a Presbyterian church - very formal and very Scottish. I thought it interesting that there were that many people available in Augusta, GA to support a Scottish-based sect. Besides the hats that they wore for Easter, the whole thing was particularly boring. I fought sleep the entire time....and the benches were horrible on the back.
We've been to Methodist churches - two so far. They were both small and cozy, not unlike the church I grew up in. Unfortunately, they lack the diversity. Poor Addison was the only child her age at both churches. I do not want to sentence my child to a church life of boredom and adults. What kind of picture of God would that create for her? And I had to chuckle to myself at all the silver hairs that laid claim to their church. You got the feeling, and rightly so, that they own that place. They probably are the sole reason it still functions - through their financial support.
We are not picky about which division of protestant we are...we just want a community to belong to...that all of our family can belong to.
So we journey on. Next on the list is another BIG Baptist Church. I almost feel like a beggar asking all my friends, where do you go to church? But that's what you want at church right? You want to be amongst friends. Wish us luck.

6 comments:

Schmoozyschlepp said...

I have church shopped too. I used to live in London and it was easy to find a new church - churches are small here and there's plenty of choice - but then we moved to a small town - and after 9 months at a church where we found less and less to agree with, culminating in a Christmas Day sermon on SIN - please, clergy - use Christmas Day to speak to all those who only come at Christmas - give them a message of encouragement - don't have a go at them!

Anyway, we shopped a bit and found nothing really wrong, but nothing to engage us either. Also our kids were getting church-resistant - and my husband likes really traditional music, whereas I like a bit more Holy Spirit... so we stopped shopping for churches and stayed home and worshipped a bit, then just contented ourselves family prayers and theological discussions.... are we backsliders? I don't think so, we still love God - we just aren't that crazy about church.

I used to lead services, preach, help with home groups etc. etc. and was secretary to the deanery and so on - but when I came here none of the churches wanted to use my talents (never even asked to do a reading) - so I shook the dust off my feet! I do pray that God will use me in some way, but I guess it won't be in a church context.

Anonymous said...

Sisters, we are a trio! The organized protestant church is not what our Lord has in mind for worship! However, fellowship IS delightful to our Lord! I have a strong belief that even one person can have an impact on another (or others). I'm currently in a difficult conflict with other leaders & pastor of my home church. God gave me a message to deliver (which I did) that was not received. The pastor and leadership chose to take away my leadership responsibilities and use me as a scape goat. My in-tune Christian friends tell me to "kick the dust off my feet" but that is easier said than done. Church shopping seems . . . as difficult. I have found there is no 'sin' in vacationing from organized worship.
---prayerfully serving Christ

Anonymous said...

It's a little strange that I stumbled on your blog, since I'm not a blog stalker, I just hit the next button from a friend's blog. If you are looking for a church that focuses on family you should check out the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints aka Mormons. I'm a Mormon and love it. You can learn more if you go to www.mormon.org. You can even talk to missionaries. I hope you do.

Bethany Johnson said...

I too am LDS. It is for the entire family. It is also a very active, encumbersome religion. For me, the overbearingness of the church and its members entices me to go church shopping sometimes. Overall, the faith is fabulous as long as you stick top the basics - which is true with any religion.

Lucy said...

I am going to recommend the LDS church as well. I'm an agnostic now and you would be making a radical change of beliefs but as a member advised me when I said I had major doubts "suppose it's not the true church what harm is it to belong it." The guy had a point. There are usually gobs of kids around and lots of activities.

mwhittle said...

It's a relationship....not a religion. I was raised Baptist...southern baptist. And I'm still a "baptist" at heart. But things have changed in my heart. All I want is a relationship with my Savior that reflects HIM in all that I say and do. I want to know that when the Father looks at me...He sees Jesus. Saying all that to say, be careful in your church shopping. It's not the denomination that you should be concerned with. Just be sure that the church you attend is based on the beliefs that the Word of God is "God-breathed" and that it points you to Jesus. A little side note...we have AWANA on Sunday nights and Addison would love it! You might want to try Journey or Steven's Creek. Heard many great things about them as well. By the way...we love and miss you all.