Friday, April 13, 2012

In a foreign land

I ventured into a Mexican buffet for lunch today. It was a celebratory meal for passing my real estate broker test. What I walked into was a little confusing as I opened the door to find a grocery store. Well, the sign did say "authentic Mexican food." As I waited to be seated eyes from all over the room came to rest on me. I began to feel a little uncomfortable. My body tensed. I felt self-conscious. I asked the waitress if I could sit anywhere...she just looked at me blankly. Finally an English-speaking man came and seated me. He followed me to the buffet where he explained all of the strange-looking foods steaming on the bar. I appreciated his effort to include me and make me feel comfortable. It made me realize that this is probably how a Mexican feels walking into a Ruby Tuesdays or an Applebees. They are not familiar with the cuisine. No one speaks their language. We all stare. I'm sure they feel uncomfortable and tense as well. In the least, for whatever reason they are here, from now on when I see a tan-skinned family with their little black-haired children in a place where they are the minority, I'll remember how it felt to be the outsider and try and be the friendly one who helps them out.

No comments: