Thursday, December 18, 2014

Look outside yourself

I walked into the dentist office today.  Time for a cleaning.  Her chirpy little voice sang that I could come on back.  I looked up to see my hygienist.  She was wearing a peacock blue hat with rhinestones. I'd never seen her in a hat before.  Midway through my compliment on her hat I remembered why she was wearing it.  From the back you could tell she was completely bald.  Chemo and radiation therapy. I remembered then what had flown my mind over the last 6 months since I saw her,  that she had been diagnosed with cancer. 
We all have problems.  Today I was wallowing in mine.  I had cried and felt sorry for myself.  And then I saw that blue hat.  A reminder that everyone has problems.  Everyone has a reason to cry. Whatever is going on in my small little world... Others face trials too... Sometimes impossible mountains.
Suddenly like a switch was flipped,  I can see that I really need to get up out of the mud hole I've made.  Not that I don't have the right or reason to be upset,  just that.... We've all got stuff. 
Sitting in Costco today without the twins,  I am invisible.  With them I cannot go anywhere without being noticed but today...today I can quietly spy.  I can listen.  I can get a peek into snippets of life. There are many well wishers.. The season is upon us.  In fact everyone seems joyful. There are, however,  some more people in blue hats that I just can't see.  I'm sure of it.  There's no telling who is smiling through their pain. 

No comments: