Monday, June 11, 2018

The day the switch flips

I have friends from high school who are becoming grandmothers and other who have seniors in high school. I have friends from college with children getting ready to take their driving test. Then there's me sitting over here cleaning poop out of underwear. At some point I was in the same exact place as all of my previous classmates...and now I'm here struggling with two boys who at nearly 4 years old did not get the concept of using a bathroom. Until now.
Praise the LORD I can officially say that my boys are potty-trained!!!!!!!
This process with these boys has felt like pulling teeth. Teeth that are set in that 2-part indestructible epoxy. I've written before that raising children is just pushing toward the goal of getting that switch to flip. It happens in math and connections in history, the definitions of words like "Frigidaire" being "Frigid Air", you know, because it keeps things cold. Just this week I learned that Arby's sounds like R B's  which is short for roast beef...yeah, mind blown that day. So many things that we will all of a sudden just get. Same with pooping in the pot.
Because I like to give credit where credit is due. I must mention that Alex peed first for a while, but one day in one giant leap of progress, William peed and pooped and has never looked back. That boy is a potty pooping machine! Alex then got on board because he will not be outdone by his brother so cudos to him too.
I knew that there was nothing I could do to MAKE them want to do this. I tried with candy and lollipops and chocolate. I was not above bribing. I tried tablet time as a reward and then I bought a foam board from the dollar store and a cheap roll of stickers. I'm not going to say that the sticker chart did it, but that is what was implemented when the magic deed happened.
I have never been so proud as I am that we can use the bathroom like normal human beings now. It really wouldn't have been such a huge deal but school was bearing down on me. William had already gotten demoted to the 2 year old class last year for his defecation. Yes, he pooped in his pull-up and they send him back to the baby room. Then there's the fact that in Public school pre-K, they are not allowed to touch your child and if they have an accident, they child gets sent to the nurse who has to call you and ask permission to clean up your baby.Yes...really. This is what our world has come to. So to say I was stressed to get these boys on the toilet was an understatement. I'm really glad some kids are potty-trained at 2, I really am. That however has never been the case with my offspring. Addison was 3 1/2 and the boys were about 1 month before 4 years old. And now, we are past that, WHOHOOOO!!! I've done so many stupid victory dances for our bathroom victories, I should start a DVD.  Now, onward to our next challenge.

No comments: