Saturday, March 6, 2010

Deathly decisions

We have decided that one day we will write a book about our rentals. We've had some truly amazing, shocking, sickening things happen over the years. Some are just too unbelievable to be true...but they are. We had another such occurrence this week. Monday morning, we found that one of our young tenants, a girl of 25, had died over the weekend. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last time that a tenant has died. It is, however, even more disturbing when it doesn't have to happen. When that person's ill choices have caused their demise. It seems to be the case more often than not.
Ever see that show, "Early Edition?" I wish I could have had a morning paper that day that foretold of that young girl's death. I wish she had a maintenance emergency that required someone to be there so that the series of events would have been disrupted. There's a lot of "I wishes" because it's not right for someone that young with all that life ahead of her to have it end so soon. It's not right that when she rented my apartment, it would be not only the place she lived, but the place she died.
The ambulance that answered the call left their body board out front. They forgot it because when they got there, she was already gone and they didn't need to use it. So, for 2 days it sat out front like a bright orange flag yelling at the passerby - SOMEONE HERE WAS IN TROUBLE. I had to take it down from it's propped up place on the tree. It sits behind a bush now - hiding - waiting for the ambulance company to come back for it. I hope they hurry. That's a funny statement in itself.
It's just a reminder of how incredibly fragile we are as humans and how quickly a life can be snuffed out.
But it urges me to do everything in my power NOT to make a deadly decision for myself or my loved ones.
Sounds pretty easy. Let's hope.

No comments: