Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bill Cosby, Cornflake and a Tot tale

There have been some BIG times in the Thurman house lately. Some are happy and some have been sad. Seems to me that we chug along for a time and then, one after another things happen all at the same time.
My cousin Emily was married on Saturday. She was a stunning vision of beauty. We attempted to take Addison to the ceremony and were able to halfway succeed. That means, she made it halfway through. After one congregational song I heard my little cheerleader from the back row where she sat with her dad - "Yaaaaay!" She's a big fan of songs and lots of people and singing.
To add to this weekend, we commenced the Michael Birthday Week. My dear is turning 40 and I decided to declare an entire week dedicated to the event. To kick it off, I bought him tickets to see Bill Cosby. Amazingly, he came to town. I thought one thing when I saw him walk on to stage Sunday...Who is that?! My favorite comedian and family show star has really gotten old..to the point that I didn't recognize him at first. Slowly, as his performance progressed, I saw flashes of the Cosby I grew up loving. Tru to form, half-way through the show, he had me in literal tears. Thank goodness I didn't get any concessions or I would have peed my pants. One interesting thing I noticed however, was the subject matter....it was the same as always. I'm not talking topic, I'm talking era. He always tells stories from his very young days, growing up. Most of these stories happened when he was 19. I wondered to myself if he finds anything of late that interesting or amusing. It also made me ponder what era I would be stuck in when I reached his age.


There is one story I'd like to share about another lovely man, Uncle Dick. Dick Fox was a terribly active man. One day, he came into the print shop where I worked after experiencing a terrible fall off of his bike. The result of a run in with a set of railroad tracks I'm afraid. The only casualty...his broken cell phone. I worked with Mr. Fox for 5 years on the Fox Appliance catalog. It was a cornucopia of parts for every appliance ever made and then some. If you are from Georgia in the Columbus, Augusta, Savannah area, I'm sure that you've heard of them..the Fox's. They had a large family from what I understand, devout Catholics, so there were plenty of family members all over the state.

Uncle Dick was passionate about his parts. His head held vast amounts of knowledge. It was for that reason that last Friday was a somber day for the Fox family. They laid him to rest next to his beloved wife. He was passionate about her too. He built an elaborate waterfall in her honor near his riverfront home. It was a beautiful creation. He was an active advocate for the Canal Authority who worked hard to preserve our waterway. In short, he was an amazing man.

It didn't surprise me that he had an equally amazing dog.
Cornflake was a terrier. He may have been a Yorkie, but he was so old when I met him that I couldn't really tell. He was a sweet, sweet animal and HE was passionate about Uncle Dick. They would ride around town in the convertible with the top down. There wasn't much hair blowing going on because even the dog was balding. That dog was always 2 feet behind Uncle Dick no matter where he went. And if Uncle Dick stopped to chat, Cornflake would wait patiently. I think that they were all each other had really. Sure, there were the sons and daughters and grandchildren, but Cornflake and Uncle Dick had a special connection.

That's a pair that the world will surely miss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We saw Cosby 5 years ago and I thought the same thing. I couldn't believe he had gotten so old. Made me sad, but he was still hilarious. Sounds like you had fun.