Friday, March 12, 2010

The Letter

I received a letter in the mail from a doctor. My files, it said, were now in his office. My files used to be at his wife's office.
Dr. Chudgar. I've been thinking a lot about her lately...ever since the letter. Long ago, before this blog existed, I went to see Dr. Chudgar for my infertility. We were excitedly anticipating what steps we would be taking to try and create a family of our own. The process was fresh and she was a very caring, very short Indian doctor who was as equally excited about beginning our journey together. A short 2 months into our process, we were notified that Dr. Chudgar would not be returning. Her cancer was no longer in remission. She would not be returning. At that point our lives took very separate paths as I pursued a few more doctors and many more procedures which happily ended with my successful pregnancy.
This is how Dr. Chudgar found me on our last encounter. Infertility procedures are expensive. My bill had not been paid. She was personally calling encouraging me to pay the amount owed. The moment she heard that we had been successful with our in vitro, she forgave my debt and wished me well. It was the ultimate example of what kind of doctor and person Dr. Chudgar was. I thought of that kind act when I read the letter from Dr. Chudgar, the husband. His dear wife, my benevolent doctor had passed away in April of 2009. I think of her tonight and how privileged I was to know her.

No comments: