Monday, May 24, 2010

Gold Medal

Life is full of choices. That's the biggest understatement ever written.
Today, I had to choose. Should I drop the pack of very breakable light bulbs or should I catch my 19 month old who is precariously dangling from the seat of the grocery cart.
Thank goodness for sturdy cardboard packaging.
Again later in the day; should I chase the toddler across the grocery store parking lot or should I pick up the pile of papers I dropped that are flying in 20 different directions?
Thank goodness for the help of kind, stooping, strangers.
I don't even know if I'd call it a choice because in all cases, I opt for the child. But there's this one half second of hesitation where my brain is trying to process all scenarios and see if I can actually do everything AT ONCE.
As amazing as I am, there are just gonna be some broken bulbs and some lost papers.
At 19 months, my daughter has me completely convinced that toddlers should be included in the Olympics. There could be events such as the "100 Meter, Dress the Toddler Dash." We play this every single morning in my house. She runs, I chase, she throws her clothes on the floor, I swoop it up for the save, she pulls out her bow, I put it back in. I think it's a brilliant game. And the winner is the person who gets their toddler downstairs, in the car, diaper bag packed, child fed and fully clothed, in the original outfit they were given,....in the least amount of time. You Win!
However, if your more of an endurance athlete, you could always do the Lowe's Marathon Obstacle Course run. Those long isles are just calling the toddler to run. And those mini humans will challenge you with their dexterity as they weave in and out of the huge pallets of insulation with 6 inches of room between each towering bail. You'll meet your match in the squeeze department. While you run from one side of the bail to the other, your toddler is winding in and out like a dog show champion.
The worst thing about those toddlers is that they have no fear and will scale a pile of 4x8 plywood faster than you can blink. Did someone put grips on that stack that I can't see?!?!
It would be entertaining....toddlers in the Olympics.
In the meantime, Addison and I will continue our training.

No comments: