Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Power of a Blind Man

I've told a story before about my tenant Mr. White who is blind. I have more.
Mr. White has a small crush on me. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that I'm one of the few people he "sees" on a regular basis. It also might be attributed to the time I had to fetch him from the ER when he cut his hand on a kitchen knife and could find a taxi there...but not one to return home. He lives a literal mile from the hospital, but he was stuck there..waiting. He took me out to lunch last week and vowed to do it once a month. He's a sweet soul. It never ceases to amaze me the comments he will throw out like, "My your looking good today," as he looks me up and down. He hasn't looked at anything in years. My heart goes out to him in his dark world where the talking books are his friends and his entertainment. His routine is the same. His talking clock keeps him on schedule. Every day I hear the squeak, squeak of his exercise machine. He can't just take off on a walk. And quite often, he asks me to cook something for him. Those that know me may find that funny because it's not something I do often, but for him, I make exceptions. His latest request is for a homemade peach cobbler. I bought the peaches yesterday. Everyone needs someone who gives a damn about them...even a little. In his small ways, he helps me as well. After having a particularly bad Friday last week, I plopped down on his sofa to say hello. It may have been the way I plopped or the sigh I let out, but he knew immediately that something was wrong with me. It is not lie that the blind have heightened senses like hearing and smell..I've see his work, like a superpower. That same day, I returned to the office to find a card. It was from Mr. White and it was for my birthday. There was a fuzzy looking heart that danced when you opened it...quite amusing. You see, he loves a card that does something. He also can't understand why his friends and family send him regular cards at Christmas. To him....it's just paper. Off to his apartment I went to thank him, but to remind him that my birthday was over a week away. His response, " I know, but you needed it today." I guess it was those superpowers kicking in.