Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Little A

I think being a parent is a series of waiting for your children's light switches. No, not the kind of light switch on the wall. I'm talking about the ones that turn on the lights in their head so that they actually "get it." Addison has been particularly slow with her switches and there are sometimes I find myself just wishing and wishing that she would pay attention to the world around her or express some kind of compassion for someone else or care about somebody else's happiness before her own. I'm very sure that it's a stage of just growing because I know that children are innately selfish people but I am so happy to report that my daughter has finally flipped some switches. There have been days when I as a mother have reached my very end. It could be due to the fact that all three kids would fight and cry or it could be that work and marriage was too much. However this little girl has really started to shine through and has on more than one occasion told me, "Momma I want to take care of you. Don't worry I'll take care of the boys." And she has done just that. Second grade was a struggle. It was a struggle for her academically and socially and it was a struggle for me as a parent to try and try and help her understand basic ways and basic truths. Third grade seems to be a much easier time in her life. She went to camp this summer and really survived well on her own and in strange situations. This year she loves her teachers dearly and plays soccer.  She has voiced an interest in joining the handbell choir at church. To see her being vested in something is really beyond gratifying. So, this post is dedicated to all the kids who have flipped their switch lately and realize that the world's not all about them. But mostly to Addison who I can see is growing up and doing a good job of it.

No comments: