Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My husband shot a guy...

Almost a year ago, my husband shot a guy who broke into our car in my front yard and stole our GPS.
Today, while Michael and I were outside before lunch, a young black man approached us. He introduced himself as "that guy you shot". It was our burglar...coming to apologize. He said that he felt bad for bothering us and not that he wanted to get shot, but that because he did, it changed his life. He told us that he'd joined the army and starts his service in May after paying off his court fine. He showed us the scar from where the bullet went clear through his leg. And then he apologized once more before he went on his way, by foot, up the street.
I know I personally have a hard time believing that people, mainly black males have any motives other than bad ones. This is based partly on experience and partly on what I see and hear on TV. But today, I met one named Jeffery who practically thanked Michael for shooting him because it was the catalyst that prompted him to change. It took a big man to walk back up the driveway of a man who had shot him and an even bigger man to apologize for the whole thing. Truly, it was an amazing conversation from someone I'd considered in the past to be pretty worthless. I guess people can change. Gives me a little different perspective on mankind at the most and a new hope for the bunch in the least.

2 comments:

Jenn Harrison said...

Wow!! That's a crazy story! I would have been so scared, but I'm glad he was just there to apologize! That's really good!

southernjoy said...

That's amazing! What a wonderful story.