Wednesday, November 21, 2012

What's in a day?

This year I am cooking my very first Thanksgiving turkey. I might be daunted by the cooking part if I could only get the thawing part complete. That bird sat in my sink all day long today and was just as frozen when I got home as it was when I left. Since then I have unwrapped it and bathed it and stuck it in fridge in hopes that in 8 hours it will indeed be thawed enough to cook. That's my worries for tomorrow...trying not to burn the turkey and making sure there's enough toilet paper in the bathroom for the guests.

I know others, however, for whom tomorrow is just another day. Nothing special. It may be because you're Canadian and well, you don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Maybe you've had surgery and can't get out and go anywhere. It could be that you are estranged from your family and have no one to go see. You may be in a halfway house...halfway to freedom, but not enough that you can visit family for a holiday. It could be that there's just no one left to have Thanksgiving with...or a recent loss of a loved one makes it all seem pointless.

Thanksgiving has become a springboard for Christmas in the retail world. It's an excuse to gorge ourselves in our personal world. It's a break from work and productivity in the financial world. But to others...it's just another day.

My heart is heavy thinking about those who won't be gathered with 20 other family members or the ones who's turkey dinner consists of turkey lunch meat on bread. Not that the day is anything extremely wonderful, but that it's what it represents - the thankfulness for our blessings and the people we are blessed with.

So to those of you who are having a hard time finding your blessings tomorrow...for whatever reason, remember that life is always changing. Thanksgiving is just one day. And you will experience your blessing another day.

No comments: