Saturday, August 22, 2009

Georgia

While watching GA Travleler on TV today I realized how truly "southern" some the terminology is that I'm used to. For instance, the pulley bone. It's a fading phenonmenon, the pully bone. KFC or Church's don't offer it. I realized today that unless I start cutting and frying up my own chicken..Addison will never know the joy of getting to make a wish and pull the pulley bone. People in other regions refer to it as the wishbone...but if you're from Georgia - it's just not the same.
I also heard a man on that same show refer to something being "as smooth as cream rinse." Cream rinse - I remember when my mother told us that it we needed to start using cream rinse to get the tangles out of our hair. I also remember the first time a stranger had no idea what I was referring to. "Oh, you mean conditioner?" Why yes, of course, conditioner.
I've adopted many non-Georgian sayings these days. I no longer refer to soda as "Coke" no matter what the brand. I've cut out using "Ya'll" unless surrounded by people who only understand that sort of language.
In some instances I think it's just a matter of what won out; cream rinse:conditioner; VHS:BETA....same thing I think.

4 comments:

Lara said...

Girl - just try moving somewhere where NO ONE knows what you're talking about and then trying to figure out "their" language at the same time. I'm only in Minnesota, but a lot of times I feel like I'm in a foreign land :)

Anonymous said...

A Beta tape is smaller than a VHS...They actually are 2 different things. We had one of each when I was growing up. By about '85 Beta tapes were getting difficult to find.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I thought I was lame for DVRing Georgia Traveller. At least I'm not alone. -Kevin

southernjoy said...

How do you stop using y'all? And thanks for reminding me about the pulleybone. I had forgotten that we called it that when I was little!