Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oh what a night

It's 3am-ish on Saturday night....make that Sunday morning. I'm listening to my mother snore over the constant sound of her oxygen mask. We've been in the hospital about 30 hours now. Thank God my sister is in town. She has the day shift.
What a night. Sandra was in town, dad had been in the hospital all week, underwent two surgeries and was supposed to be released Saturday morning. Friday night my mother stepped off the front steps of my guest house and twisted her foot...nearly off. It's incomprehensible to me exactly how she did what she did, but the result was hideous. Even worse was hearing that scream as I stepped out my side door. What is that? Please God don't let it be mom. Mom? MOM! Where are you? It's dark, can't see. Oh Mom! What happened?! Mom, it's gonna be ok, it's gonna be ok. Oh shit. No, don't look, you don't want to look.
There is something wholly unnatural about seeing your parent in that much pain. The first time it happens is paramount to getting hit in the chest with a line drive.
So here we sit, in University hospital, a dislocation, 3 breaks, one sprain and one foot surgery later. Me in the role of caretaker and her in the role of helpless. I've witnessed the most real and tender moment between my parents as my dad was discharged from the 6th floor and wheeled to the 10th. Found out later, he'd already gotten his nurse to bring him to his wife earlier, IV pole and all, that morning in the wee hours after a tired duo of daughters broke the news to him about what had occurred. In the back of my mind my life duties loom. Taxes due on Tuesday, broker exam, my two year-old, my possibly growing babies...
And in the front, the care of two recovering parents, one of which cannot walk. I am thankful for my husband and sister and grandmother... invaluable assets this weekend. And to the other Thurmans for keeping my baby in a state of ignorant, playful bliss this weekend. I think I'm going to have a small cry, because I haven't yet, and try out this couch- bed- chair thingy one more time. Goodnight all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can honestly say I've been there. Usually the couch chair things are comfortable for only the first night or two.
It is a disturbing and unreal feeling to see or know that your parent is in so much pain. They are supposed to be strong and invincible. It doesn't matter whther you are an adult or a child, deep down you beleive that. At least that is how it has been for me.
If you need anything, let me know. I can bring you food or something. I have been runnig food and stuff to my brother who did the late shift for his girlfriend recently.